Council Rates Programmes
- Product description
- Product details
The value of home insulation and heat pumps to health and overall welfare is sufficiently recognised that several councils offer support so you can pay them off via your regular rates payments.
These Council Voluntary Targeted Rates Programmes let you pay off home insulation (and sometimes heat pumps, ventilation, extractors, and more) via your regular rates bills over a period of 9-10 years at a discounted interest rate. Terms, conditions, amount of funding and interest rates vary by Council.
Get a quote from Brightr as we are approved providers in the Voluntary Targeted Rates Programmes for the following Councils:
- South Waikato District Council
- New Plymouth District Council
- South Taranaki District Council
- Hawke's Bay Regional Council
- Dunedin City Council
- Clutha District Council
Brightr is an approved provider in the Council's Voluntary Targeted Rates programmes listed overleaf. We can provide you with information and quotes on what your home needs as well as what financial support there may be in your region, including any government subsidies.
Most of the council programmes require that:
- you are a ratepayer with a good track record of paying your rates
- the insulation and heat pump (and other products where allowed) must be installed by an approved provider such as us
- that the home was built before 2000 (for insulation only)
The funding available from the participating local councils is repayable over 9 to 10 years* and they allow earlier repayments without penalties. The councils administer the finance and charge an interest rate of just 3-7%* which typically reflects their own cost of finance plus administration costs.
For more information about whether there is a rates programme in your area check the Q&As below or book a FREE Home Assessment.
5 questions & answers about this product
Which Councils have a Targeted Rates Programme?
Who is eligible?
Ratepayers of the participating Council's are eligible subject to Council approval. The main stipulation is usually that you have a good payment record with your Council and that qualifying products are installed by an approved professional installer. Brightr is approved by all the Councils above.
How do I apply?
As we are an approved provider in these Targeted Rates Programmes we will bring the documentation to your Free Home Assessment and will submit it on your behalf. Some Councils approve applications very quickly - others take 3-6 weeks.
What products are covered?
All these programmes cover retrofitting ceiling and underfloor insulation. Some Councils also allow a heat pump for your living space to be included as well as ventilation and more - depending on the Council.
What if my Council doesn't have a Targeted Rates programme?
There are other finance options available with similar or lower interest rates than the Targeted Rates Programmes. These include:
- put the costs on your One Smart Energy Account interest-free over 24 months.
- Top-up your mortgage - this has a lower interest rate.
- ANZ offers a 4-year interest-free loan of up to $5,000.
- Westpac offers a 5 year interest-free loan of up to $10,000.
- Squirrel Money - an affordable finance option.
- Q-Card - no interest over a short period.
- Insulation Subsidies - insulation subsidies are available for eligible homes - conditions apply.
Ask a question about Council Rates Programmes
0 customer reviews
Other Low/No Interest Payment Options
Need information or a quote?
We give advice and quotes on a range of products to make your house warmer, healthier and more energy efficient. Contact our Brightr team who’ll take you through how improving your property can be made easy.
Hate filling in forms? Call us direct 0800 888 766
We answer 24 hours, 7 days a week so call us anytime.