06 April 2021
Daylight savings has now ended which means an extra hour of electric lighting at night.
Moving your most used light bulbs across to LED lights can help you save power and reduce frustration at constantly replacing bulbs.
Now that daylight savings has ended we’ll be turning our lights on earlier.
If you already have LED bulbs or downlights that’s great. If not, consider moving across to LEDs when you can - especially for high use locations.
LED bulbs or downlights pay for themselves in no time and you don’t have to worry about changing them as often as old fashioned bulbs. Prices of LEDs have come down a lot so they are worth considering. Before you buy, check your light fittings (bayonet or screw), and check against the packaging (keep your receipt too in case you need to change them).
Why LED bulbs are so great
- LED bulbs are up to 85% more efficient than incandescent light bulbs? And quality LED bulbs today last up to 15 times longer than standard bulbs.
- Climate-friendly because they last so much longer than old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs (based on manufacturer's claims).
- Waste less energy – they are very efficient and long life: use up to 85% less electricity than traditional incandescent light bulbs.
- Most LED's cost less than $10 per bulb, some as little as $3.
- Each LED bulb you buy to replace an incandescent light bulb can save you between $100 and $300 over its life (depending on the wattage of the bulb you replace).
- Good for all general lighting around the house.
- If you have dimmer switches, look for dimmable LEDs.
- For extra tips on choosing LED lights, read here.
The EECA Energywise website estimates that you can save over $200 per year on your energy bill just by replacing 10 x 75W incandescent bulbs with the equivalent LED bulbs*.
Even better, if you upgrade to the LED downlight fittings we use, they can be covered by insulation. This avoids the heat loss through the gap required around old-style downlights - saving on heating costs. With a 5 year warranty, you're guaranteed to change bulbs less often too.
To make immediate savings on your energy bills, upgrade to LED Downlights. We can help with that too, so contact us for a free quote.
*Based on replacing 10 x 75 Watt incandescent bulbs with 10 x 13 Watt LED bulbs. Both bulbs would produce 1100 lumens of light. The estimate assumes 3 hours operation per day at 27c per kWh. Source EECA Energywise