3. Your consent: By contacting us, accessing our websites, or requesting and/or using our Services, you consent to the collection, use, disclosure, storage and processing of your personal information and data in accordance with this Policy.
4. What personal information we collect: We collect personal information about you when you get in touch with us, including through our websites or social media accounts, via email or over the phone (please note that we may record any communications we have with you to improve customer experience), when we visit your home, when you use our Services or visit our websites, when you participate in our promotions, and from public information platforms (eg Homes.co.nz and Council websites). We may also collect information about you from third parties, including as part of credit reference checks or where a third party is involved in supplying our services, finance or solutions to you, or where you notify us that you believe you are a medically dependent customer or a vulnerable customer. The personal information we collect may include:
(a) your name, email address, home address and contact phone number(s);
(b) your payment information;
(c) information about your property;
(d) information about your or your household's energy use, which may include historic meter reading information from your previous or existing supplier;
(e) information about the Services you request and/or receive from us, and information about your on-going use of those Services;
(f) information about how the websites are used (for example, traffic volumes, time spent on pages, traffic source);
(g) your IP address and/or other device identifying data; and
(h) other information that you may disclose to us during the course of our relationship with you.
You are under no obligation to provide us with any such information. However, if you choose to withhold requested information, we may not be able to provide you with our Services, nor respond to your requests.
5. What we do with the personal information we collect: We will use the personal information we collect to:
(a) provide free advice relevant to your personal and property situation;
(b) provide our Services to you, and administer any accounts you have with us;
(c) identify you when you get in touch about the Services you are requesting or receiving;
(d) communicate with you in relation to the Services and any related issues (eg, quotes for other services, support requests and billing matters);
(e) develop, modify or improve our Services;
(f) carry out credit reference checks (see clause 8 below for more information);
(g) engage someone to recover money from you if you have not paid us by the due date for payment;
(h) assess whether you are a medically dependent customer or a vulnerable customer and carry out our related responsibilities;
(i) improve our customer service and experience, and our websites and other online platforms;
(j) carry out research and marketing analysis so we can better understand and serve you;
(k) provide information about other products or services you may be interested in (unless you tell us that you do not want to receive this kind of information);
(l) monitor and enforce compliance with the law and applicable terms and conditions;
(m) verify and carry out financial transactions in relation to the Services;
(n) meet our obligations under various laws and industry rules, including record keeping requirements; and
(o) co-operate with any government, industry or regulatory authorities.
6. Disclosures of personal information: Unless you have authorised us to do so, we will not rent or sell any personal information and will not disclose it to any third party except:
(a) where disclosure is connected to the purposes for which the information was collected as listed in clause 5;
(b) to our third party service providers (such as the meter owner, the network operator, installers, servicemen, repairers, funding providers and hosting providers) in connection with the purposes described in clause 5, or to Work and Income, District Health Boards, private health providers or any other social agency or service provider in connection with the purpose described in clause 5(h). Third party hosting providers include hosting providers located in New Zealand and other countries as required;
(c) to relevant authorities, parties and/or applicable intellectual property rights holders (or their representatives) if we consider that you are in breach of the law or our rights; or
(d) where required, or permitted, by law.
We may choose to sell our business. In these types of transactions, personal information is typically one of the business assets transferred to the third party purchaser. You acknowledge and agree that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your personal information as set out in this Policy.
7. Energy Usage: A variety of information relevant to your or your household's energy use may be collected and stored to inform and guide the energy efficiency products and services offered.
8. Credit checks: If you are an individual and we wish to obtain a credit check about you at any time, you understand that your details will be given to a credit checking agency. That agency may hold the information we give them on their system and use it when they provide credit checks to others, including by giving the information out as part of the agency's services such as credit checking. If you default on your payment obligations to us, we may also give that information to credit checking agencies and it may form part of the information that agency gives to others.
9. Cookies: The websites may place cookies on your computer or device. Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored in a browser-related file on your computer or device when you use the websites. These are only accessible by us in order for us to build better sites more tailored to your needs and interests. The cookies we use do not collect any personally identifiable information but may link to stored information about you in our records.
12. Storage and security of information: The security of personal information is of utmost importance to us and we work to protect it. However, you should be aware that information transmitted over the internet is not always secure. We will take all reasonable steps to securely store any personal information we collect. This information may (for the avoidance of doubt) be transferred and stored on servers outside of New Zealand.
13. Retention of your information: We will only retain your personal information for as long as is required for any of the purposes described in the clauses above.